SCOUTING HISTORY 1950 ~ 1959
The second National Jamboree of the Boy Scouts of America is held at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. The first National Jamboree was held in Washington, D.C., in 1937.
Plans and labor to develop a new summer camp on the estate of Mrs. R. J. Reynolds, Jr., at Devotion in Surry County reach a peak. Various problems with lease agreements, timber rights, and topography make a proposed Camp Devotion less likely, in spite of the devoted work of Explorers and leaders in Post 49 at Ardmore Methodist Church and other supporters.
After almost thirty years of use, Camp Lasater completes its last year as a Boy Scout summer camp.
Twenty-five Boy Scouts from the Old Hickory Council attend the third National Jamboree in Irvine Ranch, California. Scout Paul Essex of Winston-Salem issues regular written updates to local readers as the "Jamboree Reporter" for the Winston-Salem Journal.
Raven Knob Park in Surry County is purchased by the Old Hickory Council and renamed the Raven Knob Scout Reservation in recognition of its new use as the Council's permanent training/summer camp.
July 16, 1954: "Men from all walks of Winston-Salem's life paused yesterday to mourn the passing of Robert Edward Lasater, one of the last of the city's pioneer industrialists. He was a large-scale public benefactor...Heading the mourners will be the board of directors and ranking officials of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, from which Mr. Lasater retired in 1947 as vice president in charge of manufacturing after more than 58 years of service. The company expressed its formal regrets... [A]...resolution from the Old Hickory Council, signed by H. Banks Newman as president, said in part: "His kindly and deep interest and counsel has been a source of great encouragement and inspiration to many of us in scouting, and his generosity has made possible a fine camping experience for untold hundreds of boys..." Mr. Lasater was honorary council president at the time of his death and had been associated with scouting for more than 30 years. He was one of the first five in the county to receive the Silver Beaver Award...[He] gave the council land for what until last year was the official Boy Scout camp, and reportedly made large contributions toward the development of the camp at Raven's Knob which will be the new council camp site..."
Winston-Salem Journal, pp.1 & 10
Construction begins on various projects at Camp Raven Knob including the Kiwanis Club Administration Building, the Mary Reynolds Babcock Dining Hall, and the John Alspaugh Health Lodge.
Den Mother and Cub Scouts at a Den meeting in Winston-Salem, circa 1955. [Photo from office files of the Old Hickory Council]
[Click photo for an enlargement]
The first Area 6-A Fellowship of the Order of the Arrow is held at Camp Raven Knob. Members of Scouting's National Honor Society from throughout North Carolina gather to celebrate Native American culture and to devote themselves to service to their fellow Scouts, local troops, and summer camps.
Scouts and Scouters at Camp Raven Knob use a new Field Sports Center that was constructed in memory of David Stewart, former Raven Knob staff member and Wahissa Lodge Chief; and a new chapel that was constructed in honor of Robert C. Vaughn, Scouter and Council Treasurer for decades.